Our last visit for the day is Chateau de Miromensil. The only way to see the chateau inside is either by booking a night or by booking a guided tour. We booked a guided tour of the chateau, the gardens and the chapel. The tour was in French but we were given information in english to read up on. Upon hearing that the tour will take about 90 min the kids developed a biblical proportion hunger, 2 hours after our last meal, and a debilitating case of boredom. Undaunted we left them in the lobby to ‘suffer’ as we pressed on. The Chateau was built in 1590 on the remains of the old fortified castle destroyed during the Battle of Arques, the Miromesnil castle is the testimony of four centuries of architectural history. The simple lines of the Henry IV style south façade contrast with the decorative profusion of the Louis XIII monumental
Despite the succession of numerous landlords, the castle has kept its decorative elements from the
past centuries: wooden panels from the XVII and XVIII century. The furniture (sofas, chest of drawers,
wardrobes) relates life in the castle in the XVIII century.
On the ground floor of one of the tower, a small lounge has been reorganised in a XIX century style, to recall the presence of the Maupassant family between 1849 and 1853. The entire property is huge, it includes a number of support buildings a protected beech park with some 3000 beech trees and a small family chapel.