The Sainte-Chapelle or “Holy Chapel” was constructed to house Louis IX’s collection of relics of Christ, the crown of thorns, a piece of the cross and others. At the time the king paid 135,00 livres for the relicts, which were put in an ornate silver chest that cost further 100,000 livres. The entire chapel in 1238 cost the king 40,000 livres including the extensive and to date some of the best preserved and most extensive 13th century stained glass windows anywhere in the world. Only the king and his family and close friends were allowed in the chapel. Not sure how we missed this beauty on the previous trips but here it is.